August 24, 2007

Nathan's Birthday






Nathan's birthday was last week. I have been so busy with school and being a Mom Taxi, that I haven't had a chance to blog about his birth or birthday. As some of you know Naty boy is our 4th and last child. Nathan was born at home. My midwife could not attend his birth, so we had a unattended home birth. Being we had already had previous home births, we felt very safe and confident in having him at home. Nathan was my only child born on his exact due date. R was 6 days early, Syd was two wks early, Ashy was two week late!



Weeks following Nathan's birth, every week when the moon would change phases I would have hours of "thinking I was in labor" but I knew it wasn't time. My Mom had come here a few days before. I was especially nervous about Nathan's birth for the fact that my oldest daughter was going to start Kindergarten on the 18th. I wanted him to come on his due date or wait until after the 18th, which was a Thur. I didn't want it to affect Raegan. Yeah right. once he was born she didn't want to leave him!



We ate dinner and got everyone off to bed. Mom and I stayed up for a while wondering if this would be the night. I thought it was so I called my friend Melanie, who is a doula and a best friend. By the time she got to my house I was having steady contractions and knew it was for real. She massaged my feet to help me relax, while Lonnie got the birth pool all filled up ( with warm water of course). This was around 11 O'clock at night. I labored for a few hours and was beginning to have doubts and wanted to give up. Then I remembered, with all my births, that when I get to that point it is time. It was transition time. Knowing this gave me back my confidence. Melanie and Lonnie didn't have a clue. (for those of you who know me, I am the exact opposite of my personality in labor, CALM!!!) I know, I know, surprising isn't it!! I remembered one big thing in giving birth was to make sure the cord did not prolapsed. I checked and I felt something weird, it was his EAR. Great! I could continue. I do remember at this point that everyone in the house was awake. Raegan wanted to be in there, but she didn't get up the stairs in time.( she wouldn't have seen a lot) I know this sounds really weird to you, but water births are not as gross looking as other births. It is a clean birth. I've had two reg births and two water births and I prefer the water birth.



He was born at 4:44 am on the 14th and was 8lbs 4 oz 21 inches. So cute, looked just like the rest. Tid bit: My girls were exactly one lb and one inch apart and so were the boys.(Ashy was 9.4, 22ins)



Nathan turned two this year. He so the 4th child. He doesn't need to talk, because everyone does it for him. He is very sweet and loving. He loves to be cuddled. He is absolutely fascinated with trucks, trains, tractors, planes,etc. He gets soooo excited when seeing them. It is very cute. He is also a very super sensitive child. He is not like the others in the way that he does not have a very big appetite and he is smaller than what my other children were at this age. He has thrown us for a loop. They have all been very similar and he has challenged us in different ways.



Here is a pic of one of his birthday gifts. (Ps I scored big time on this, we got it for $7.48 at Target!)






Natey boy, Mommy loves you tons!

0 PUCKERED UP HERE!: